Social Defence as understood in common parlance pertains to certain marginalized population group requiring protection as well as care and support through systematically organized and coherent efforts both by Government and Civil Society. Social Defence issues such as Drug Abuse, Old Age, Beggary, HIV/AIDS, Trafficking, Probation services, Prisons, Transgender etc. are the emerging concerns. Therefore the efforts for well being of these marginalized section of the society is vital and requires immediate and suitable interventions.
Beggary is serious problem in India which needs to be addressed on priority. Laws against vagrancy and beggary are a means of control over such persons, who constitute a source of in nature and potential threat and annoyance to society. However the problem is more of social needs to be handled accordingly. Systematic training/sensitization Programmes for the concerned State officials and NGOs partners on beggary prevention would go a long way in eradication of this social evil.
Transgender Community is another sensitive and marginalized group and requires basic security measures such as food, clothing, shelter, education and health, employment. Our Ministry has initiated the development work with view to safeguarding the rights of these groups. Problems of Transgender Community are multidimensional and hence multi pronged strategy is required to handle this issue.Education, Skill development training programmes on different trades for this community would help them in their employment and self -employment.
The Division also looks after the matters related the field of social defence to children affected by drug abuse, counseling skills for the stakeholders in the fields of social defence . The Division trains/sensitize the Govt./NGOs/Panchayat/Police functionaries and Social Work professionals on Social Defence issues through its comprehensive National level one month programmes and 3 day short term state level programmes.
The basic aim of the Division is to establish links with State Social Welfare Departments and institutions working in the area of Beggary Prevention, Transgender persons etc. for imparting training to stakeholders/service providers.
The target group of the Division is officials of concerned State Social Welfare Deptts., Probation Officers, middle level functionaries of State Police Departments, lecturers, Readers and Field work Supervisors of Social Work Institutions, concerned NGO functionaries, Social Workers, Panchayat functionaries and Research Scholars
The following Training and Capacity Building Programmes are conducted:
- A comprehensive one Month Certificate Course on Social Defence issues is organised for the Govt /NGO and Panchayat functionaries.
- Three Day Training Programme for Government/ NGO/ Panchayat functionaries on Social Defence Issues
- Three Day Training Programme for the functionaries of Police Dept. on Social Defence Issues
- Three Day Regional Level Training Programmes on Social Defence Issues for Social Work Professionals
- 3-Day Programme on Specialized Care for Children Affected by Drug abuse for Concerned Govt. /NGO Functionaries.
- Five Day training Programme on Counselling Skills for stakeholders in field of social defence.
- 3-day State Level Training Programme on Beggary Prevention for Govt./NGO functionaries.
- National Level seminars and workshops organized.
- Sub-group and expert meetings on Beggary and Transgender